REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED.
Registration for our 2019 edition will open around Marts 2019.
There are six competition categories at Danish Open Bellydance (2018):
- Tomorrow’s Stars (Professional and semi-professional level / Saturday show)
- Judges: Diva Darina, Esmaralda Colabone, Suraiya Ibrahim, Cristina Dore, Suzzane Sofia Potempa
- Soloist (Professional level / Saturday show)
- Judges: Diva Darina, Azad Kaan, Esmaralda Colabone, Cristina Dore, Suzzane Sofia Potempa
- Grand Diva (Professional and semi-professional level / Saturday show)
- Judges: Diva Darina, Azad Kaan, Esmaralda Colabone, Suraiya Ibrahim, Suzzane Sofia Potempa
- Tabla Solo Live (Professional and semi-professional level / Saturday show)
- Judges: Diva Darina, Azad Kaan, Esmaralda Colabone, Suraiya Ibrahim, Cristina Dore
- Oriental Fusion (Professional and semi-professional level / Sunday show)
- Judges: Diva Darina, Azad Kaan, Suraiya Ibrahim, Cristina Dore, Suzzane Sofia Potempa
- Group (Professional and semi-professional level / Sunday show)
- Judges: Azad Kaan, Esmaralda Colabone, Suraiya Ibrahim, Cristina Dore, Suzzane Sofia Potempa
The winners of each category will be announced after the last category is conducted and if there is a show e.g. Open Stage it will be announced after the show.
Prizes will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.
Rules and scoring for all categories
- Soloist and Grand Diva (pdf))
- Tomorrow’s Stars (pdf)
- Tabla Solo Live (pdf)
- Groups (duos) (pdf)
- Oriental Fusion (pdf)
Rules and scoring are last revised July 2018.
Groups: This is an all-encompassing category for Middle Eastern belly dance styles (baladi, saidi, classical oriental, maleya, khaleegi, shaabi etc.) but not tribal, fusion, or gothic. Regardless of the chosen style, the groups will be scored on the basis of the same criteria. Correct costumes should be worn for folkloric style dancing.
Oriental Fusion: Both solo dancers, duos and groups are allowed in the category. It is expected that the dancer(s) will perform a routine. The routine must have movement elements from oriental belly dance. Examples of fusions could be Spanish/Arabic dance, Belly Funk and much more. As long there are elements of oriental belly dance you are welcome to combine all sorts of styles.
Fees and other practical information
- It is required that all participants who have not entered the competition before send a link to a video (YouTube etc.) or send a video via e-mail with a small clip of performance to mail@DanishOpenBellydance.dk. Shortly after you will receive an e-mail letting you know if can enter the competition and in which category. The video can be from a show or a short performance recorded in your living room :-).
Please notice: If you have competed in the competition before we will use your rank to guide you to the best category (Tomorrow’s Stars/Soloist).
- A minimum of 3 dancers/groups is required before each category is conducted. If necessary there will be a maximum number of dancers/groups in each category.
- The entry fee for soloists in all categories is: DKK 200 / €27.
- The entry fee for one Group is DKK 200 / €27 per group member. This also applies to groups in the Oriental Fusion category.
- If a dancer enters two or more categories there will be a discount (see entry form).
- Entry spots will not be guaranteed until all registration forms and fees are received.
- Contestants may enter in more than one category if they fit the criteria. No entries will be accepted at the door. Pre-registration is required.
- All amounts will be charged in DKK.
- If you have participated in Danish Open Bellydance before, please be aware that we will use a photo of you on Facebook, in the printed programme etc. taken at the competition.
If you wish for us to use another photo, please feel free to send us the photo via mail@DanishOpenBellydance with your initial registration or no later than 7 days after you have registred.
When you send the registration form you accept that
- The photos and videos shot at the competition can be used by Danish Open Bellydance.
- That you have read the PDF concerning scoring and rules.
- Registration is binding, no refund is given should you choose later on not to participate.
- You automatically become a member of the Danish Open Bellydance support association the following year.
Registration all competitions
Shortly after we have received your application, you will receive an email from the organizers. We will do our very best to answer you as soon as we possibly can. When your participation is approved, you will receive an invoice and further information regarding your participation.
Please fill out the application form below. Choose solo or group. You can write directly in the pdf.
- Registration forms will be enclosed in Marts 2019
The judges at the Danish Open Bellydance competition are typically professional dancers. They are of course facing the stage and observe all of the dances. Each judge completes a score sheet for each routine by awarding points for various categories. Judges may also write comments on their score sheets for the benefit of the dancers and their choreographers.
As in many other dance styles, judging in belly dance is inherently subjective. Although there may be a general consensus that one dancer “looks better” than another, it can be difficult to agree on what makes one dancer a 7 and another a 9 in a particular routine component. Over time, as judges, instructors, and dancers become more experienced with our scoring system, more consensus may emerge.
Therefore the dancer must expect differences in marks from different judges. This range of differences implies that “observer bias” determines some of the marks given by a judge. However, averaging over a number of scores from different judges will reduce the effect of this bias in the final score.